Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cameron, PA Notes-Frances Elizabeth Schwab Murray

The pace of my posting has slowed now.  I am at the end of Frances' writings.  I hope it it has been/will be entertaining and useful to readers.  Up until now, I have interspersed some posts about my family research with posts that are transcriptions.  Going forward, I won't have Frances to provide a foundation.  I wish there were more because, well... just because.

Thanks, Gram.


The old house in Climax Hollow was lived in by the German family.  A daughter, Gertrude, was a school teacher in Emporium and Cameron.  She was one of my mother’s teachers. 

The Post Office in Cameron was a store and Post Office combined in 1907.  Shortly afterward, John, his brothers Edward and Alfred built a much larger store on the lot where Bill Howlett’s home is locate.  John and wife Edna ran the store and Post Office until they moved to Emporium in1913.  The store was sold to a Mr. Salter until it burned down.  The Post Office was then run by Mr. Edward Stewart, later by Mrs. Roy Page, then Mrs. William McVain.  The last postmaster was Joseph Schreffler, then the Post Office was closed and mail delivered by Star Route.  Canoe Run’s one and only postmaster was Fred Webster.  It was located in the company store.  It was run by Mr. Webster back in early 1900s.

Cameron had two large hotels at one time.  Green Mayo, one of the Mayo Brothers that did lumbering in Cameron built the Cameron House Hotel in 1867 (ed. note: the 1887 date originally  posted was a typo) and ran it for three years.  Al Walker ran the hotel for years then Ed McFadden took over the hotel.  When he died, his son, John, ran it until it was torn down. His family also had their living quarters in the hotel.  The Cameron House Hotel was across the railroad from the depot. Some of the foundation was still there in the early 1900s.

Green Mayo ran the hotel for a few years, then built the big boarding house and it was run by Mrs. Perkins as long as the Mayo Brothers lumbered in Cameron. 

The Valley House was located on the corner lot across from Bill Howlett’s place at the Y of the roads.  I don’t remember anyone’s name, but as a teenager, I worked a little at both hotels.  There was another hotel, long before my time.  It was built behind the depot, between the depot and the main road.

The Hunts Run Lumber Company built the big dam across the stream for their saw mill that was just below the boarding house.  The saw mill was later sold to Mr. Barrows who built his house on the hill opposite to where the little church stands.  In the early 1940s that house was sold to my two uncles, Ed and Alfred Schwab.  They had the house moved down to the flat behind the church where it stands today (1973).  That was a moving job to remember—not even a pane of glass was broken.  Nothing was removed except four steps to the front porch.

The first store built in Cameron was built by Mr. Quintard, who was president of the corporation from New York that ran Mount Hope Coal.  Their offices were in the store.  The first Post Office I remember in Cameron was in a small store owned by Mr. McConnel.

Most any kind of grain was raised in Cameron, such as corn, wheat, rye, buckwheat.  My dad used to bring his grain to the mill in Emporium where they’d grind it and take grain in exchange for the flour and feed.  All kinds of vegetables were raised.  In 1914, my dad and Ray Page raised cantaloupes, sold them by crates to a restaurant in New York.  They combined their crops in order to fill the order.  At that time we lived next door to Pages on what was at one time the Ed McFadden farm.

Dr. J.D. Johnston came to Driftwood to replace Dr. Beale, who went to the Maple Avenue hospital in DuBois.  Dr. Johnston used the office in the McDonald Hotel at Driftwood that Dr. Beale used.  Dr. Johnston stayed at the Riley’s Hotel.  I worked there at the time.  He was in Driftwood for a short time, there he brought his wife and new baby girl, who is now Mrs. Mary Donovan, to Driftwood in late 1913.  Dr. Johnston came to Emporium to work in 1914.  He had his office over what was then Vogt Shoe Store, now known as Brown’s Boot Shop.  He stayed at the Warner Hotel until he moved his family into the former Julian home on Broad Street.

Dr. Bryant located in Driftwood before he moved to Emporium.  Dr. J. D. Johnston also located in Driftwood before he came to Emporium in1914.

No comments:

Post a Comment