Thursday, April 7, 2011

Treasure Chest Thursday-Dad's 1949 Patent

Treasure Chest Thursday is a blogging prompt used by many genealogy bloggers to help them post content on their sites. A special thanks to Leslie Ann Ballou of Lost Family Treasures for suggesting Treasure Chest Thursday as a blogging theme.

My thanks go to Deb Ruth for her Resources page at her blog, Adventures in Genealogy (not to be confused with my blog subhead of same name).  I discovered Google Patents Beta there and proceeded to find my dad's patent -- a treasure to me.
My dad's patent

Note that this was for a prop plane--his work preceded the jet plane era. My brother explained to me that later variable wing designs were finally implemented on the infamous F-111 Raven, and later became more common. A notable variable wing design was the F14 Tomcat. Dad was thinking ahead of his time.  However, he did need better legal advice.  Employed as an aeronautical engineer at the time, he thought making the patent application in his father's name would prevent any benefits going to his employer.  No financial gain came from this patent, but if it had, he probably would have lost any legal battle with the employer.   I wish I could add a note to the actual patent because otherwise the name could mislead some future genealogist.

No comments:

Post a Comment